Sunday, October 26, 2008

Send me an Angel

This picture was taken just after Dad had his surgery for bowel cancer. (2000) What a cute couple.

Every single Sunday without fail, my parents have gone to church. Unless they were ill, (and I mean ill/sick) they never missed. Fortunately, my Mother has always enjoyed good health. She has had aches and pains but has never had major surgeries. I am actually quite surprised she didn't suffer any heart attacks when I was a teenager ;)

I have a memory to share with regards to Dad's bowel cancer surgery. One particular day, I had gone to Castle Hill hospital to visit. I always visited him during the early evening after work ( I worked as a Dental Assistant). Today was a little different.

I had just attended a funeral and asked my friend to drop me off at the hospital so I could visit with Dad. I was so excited to get to go in the early afternoon and asked the Nurse if I was able to visit with him even though it was not the scheduled time for visitors. She was kind enough to say 'Yes'.

I walked in the room (it was a ward he was in and so there were several people in one area, not a traditional one or two person room). I fought back tears as I saw him laying there and walked up to his bed. "Hi Dad" I said. He looked at me, reached for my hand and with tears streaming down his face, he said "Oh Maxine, just this very minute I prayed to God and asked him to send me an angel to help me through the pain and to sustain me and the minute I said Amen, I opened my eyes and saw you.

This is a memory I will NEVER forget. It was a very special experience. He felt so weak and depressed and was obviously uncomfortable enduring his pain. I hadn't planned on going to the hospital at that time. I didn't know how bad he was feeling. I certainly didn't know he was praying for an angel, but the Lord surely did and knew I was going to be the angel for him.

I certainly know that there are angels who help us and bear us up during our trials. Even the Savior himself was blessed with an angel to bear him up in the Garden of Gethsemane.

I am so glad I could be the angel for my Dad that day. He has often called me an angel since and we have talked about that special experience on many occasions.

The true angel is the one who he is stood next to in the picture shown today. She has been there and continues to be there for him every step of the way and I know an eternal crown of glory awaits both of them in the hereafter.

"We love you Dad"

No comments: