Monday, October 20, 2008

Missionary Monday

This picture is my Mom and Dad with Elder Avery in between them and Jared, my brother sitting in the front. Elder Avery was leaving the area and had gone to say 'goodbye' to my family. This was ten years ago!
For those who 'follow the blog' notice the first memory Scott remembered and shared.

"So my first week at church in Hull this bloke walks up to me and says, "Hey, Elder, you got that tenner you owe me?" I was like wait what..? Have we met? and why do I owe you a tenner. But he said it w/ such confidence that I almost gave him ten quid right then and there, but he stopped me from reaching for my wallet.

He then proceeded to tell me about how he used to be scrum half for Hull Kingston Rovers. Knowing little to nothing about Rugby, who was I to argue? He said he was always getting recognized by adoring fans who want a picture and an autograph even though he played years ago...he was just that good.

Apparently, on one visit to America he was stopped by a few admirers at the airport who had to take advantage of this once in a life time 'Kodak moment' with the great John "Rocky" Sims from Hull, England. Upon which he presented me with a photo of himself and Elders Gordon B. Hinckley and Neal A. Maxwell. He then expressed with perfect faith that Gordon B. Hinckley was a prophet of God and it was a great honor to have met him. It was amazing how seemlessly the mood changed from playful to serious as he testified to me of this simple truth that he personally knew to be true.

An amazing test of faith he shared with me during my months of service in Hull was concerning a Poltergeist. I believe he was serving as the Bishop in Hull when he received a call from someone claiming their home was "haunted" and everyone got a creepy feeling upstairs like they were not alone and the dog wouldn't even go up there at all. They had called clergy members from multiple local religions to come out and exorcise the unseen guests. While they all agreed that there was evil present in the home they all left with no success. He simply said, "I'll come right over."

The family who had just moved into a new house had no prior association with the LDS church or John, but it didn't matter to him. Without question he selflessly responded to the call from someone in need without regard for his own personal safety or any prior knowledge of what he would do. John related that upon being invited into the house he walked straight upstairs and simply "commanded the spirits to depart, in the name of Jesus Christ!" The family dog immediately ran upstairs and nuzzled up to John when he had done so. He went down and knelt in prayer with the home owners to dedicate their home and they were more than satisfied with the result from his brief visit, since they had no ghostly problems after that.

I have no doubt that if the Lord asked John to move mountains he would do it. He expressed to me his true love for the Lord and adoration for his lovely wife, Val. "Eeza good lad." He has been an unforgettable influence for good in my life that I will never forget.

Thank you Scott! What a blessing it has been to find each other on Facebook. I am still in awe at how you found yourself such a pretty wife. (Just kidding ya bro, she is pretty but you deserve her!)
My Dad's famous (rugby) saying was "The bigger they are, the faster I run!"

"We love you Dad"

No comments: