Friday, October 24, 2008

Happy faces on a sad day



This picture is Dad and Savannah (Rebecca's and Gary's daughter). It was taken outside Castle Hill Hospital. Dad has spent many hours, days and nights at this hospital.

This was the day my Dad found out his cancer had returned. He was told that he had a cancerous tumor on his liver. The day just happened to be his birthday, November 28th, 2006.

I remember as clear as day when he called to tell me. I was heartbroken. After knowing and seeing what he had previously gone through with bowel cancer, I really didn't want to believe this was happening all over again. This time I was 5,000 miles away. This time, it was the liver. I wondered how his body could take any more surgery, any more pain. How could his mind take any more of this?

It was a normal phone call. Dad was solemn. Not emotional, not doubting, not questioning just simply stating the fact. I was just getting ready to have my monthly card class when he called, so that day must have been a Tuesday. I didn't think I would be able to hold the event, but knew it was probably for the best as opposed to cancelling and crying all night. Most of my class members had met Dad so it was a teary evening.

How could I not say anything about Savannah? She is just so cute. I love all my neices but I have a soft spot for Savannah, due to an experience that both my sister, Rebecca and I faced together. It is very special and one of those things shared only with family. When I was in England in May, I just loved being around this sweet girl. She is so full of life, chatty and energetic (just like me). I just love the way she says "Aunty Maxine."

As always, how wonderful to know "Families are Forever"

"We love you Dad"

No comments: