Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What happens in Vegas....stays in Vegas!

Well not ALL the time ;)


In May of 2006, Mom and Dad were here in the States visiting as we celebrated the birth of our youngest daughter (and last child) Olivia. We went to Las Vegas as Lance and I own a time share there and we celebrated my Mom's birthday. I believe she was 21 again! ;)

We spent a lot of time sightseeing and by the pool and one day we decided we would to go to Las Vegas Boulevard.
We parked the van and decided to go to the M&M Factory. As we were crossing the road, we realized Dad wasn't with us. We didn't really think too much of it as we saw him sitting on a bench on the other side of the road. He often liked to sit down and those of you who know him well will know he loves the sun.

We went into the Factory and came out a short while later to find the bench empty. We knew he couldn't have gone far so waited around for him. After 30 minutes of being in the hot desert sun, we started looking for him. He was nowhere to be seen and with literally thousands of people around, we knew it was like looking for a needle in a haystack.

SIX hours later, having looked all over for him and even splitting up to find him, we saw him walking by the 'New York, New York' Hotel. At this point we didn't know whether we should wrap our arms around him or give him a good telling off for wandering away from the bench. (I believe he got the latter!) :)

He told us how he had called the Police and told them he had lost his family. The police said that was typical in Vegas due to the gambling. My Dad said , 'No' I mean I can't find them.

Dad called his good friend, Mike Young in Utah to ask if he knew my cell phone number. Mike didn't, as we always communicate through e-mail.

I asked my Dad to hand me his wallet. He looked at me like I was questioning him for maybe gambling and wanting to check to see if he had any money left.

I opened his wallet and handed Dad my business card and pointed to my my cell phone # right there on the card. So for six long and lonely hours he had wandered around all the time having my cell phone # on him. :)


No comments: