Friday, September 12, 2008

The tale of the Yorkshire Pudding!



This will be the 'best' picture of me you will ever see! ;)

I believe Dad stopped someone to ask if they would take a picture of us and obviously, the guy was no David Bailey. (Famous photographer).

I remember as a young girl, I spent so much time with my Dad. Wherever he went, I wanted to go with him. On this occasion we are waiting for the bus to take us to the City Center.

Dad was serving on the High Council at the time and we were going to Beverley.

David Fenwick's parents invited us to dinner. His Mother made us a wonderful meal. I still remember it. She brought in a plate of Yorkshire Pudding and Gravy. I looked at my Dad and quietly asked "Is this all we are eating?" Dad told me there would be more to come. This was the way Yorkshire Pudding is traditionally served. It was a very big piece. Next we were served, Roast Beef, Roast Potatoes and vegetables. Boy was Dad right, there really was more. Followed by a dessert. We had a nap in the afternoon and went back to church in the evening. I loved spending time with Dad. We didn't have a car and spent a lot of time sitting on a bus or walking places. Treasured memories!

This is copied and pasted from a Website:

The Yorkshire pudding is a staple of the British Sunday dinner and in some cases is eaten as a separate course prior to the main meat dish.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maxine, I know exactly where this photo was taken. It's right by Craven Park. In the background you can see the old bus garage that used to be opposite the old "Astoria" Cinema. The first shop was a chippy. (I thing it was called "Leng's" or something like that.) Farther in the background are the petrol station and Methodist Church that used to be at the top of Portobello Street on Holderness Road. Sweet memories.