Sunday, September 7, 2008

A little about John

John Sims was born on November 28th 1939 in Hull, East Yorkshire, England. His parents were George and Hilda. John was the 6th of 10 children. (Joyce, Hilda, Alan, Barbara,Dave, John, Geoffrey, Sylvia, Norma and Janet.)

John was a little boy during World War II and remembers coming home from school one day to find their house had been bombed. On other occasions, he remembers the sound of sirens and having to go to the air raid shelters. He grew up with a love for Rugby, so much so he signed up as scrum half for Hull Kingston Rovers.

He was a teddy boy in his teenage years, which basically meant he wore a suit and had a funky hair do and cool shoes. He was a very handsome young man and in 1960, he met the love of his life, Valerie Houghton and still claims 'she struck oil' when she met him.

In 1962, John and Val were married at St. Columbas Church in Hull, East Yorkshire, England. They moved into Rollo Avenue and two years later, in 1964, their first child was born, Michael John. Four years, later whilst living in Chelsea Close, their second child was born, Maxine Louise.

In 1968, John and Val joined the LDS (Mormon) church and moved to another house in Anson Road where their third child, Rebecca Ann, was born in 1973. In 1975, whilst living in Fortune Close, their last child and only fortune that came from living there, was born, Jared Spencer.

John worked as a Butcher and was a hard worker. He fulfilled many duties for the church which included serving as a Bishop, a Branch President, on the High Council, in the Young Men's program and as a Seminary and Institute Teacher.

John is a good husband, Father and Grandad (aka Grandy). He has grandchildren whom he adores. Seven live in England, (Michaela, Charlene, Michael, Ben, Samantha, Savannah and Sienna) four in the US (Natalie, Kayleigh, John and Olivia)and two in South Africa. (Brooke and Caitlin)

John has overcome many illnesses in his life. In the year 2000 he was diagnosed with Bowel Cancer. Following major surgeries he was clear.

Unfortunately, bad news struck on his birthday in 2006, when he was diagnosed yet again with cancer, this time a cancerous tumor of the liver. Surgery was underway and sadly, as the tumor was on his diapraghm, the Surgeon could not remove it as planned. John had chemotherapy for a while and decided against further treatments. Quality of life opposed to quantity of life was the factor.

Two years later, John is still battling the cancer, bravely and incredibly. He has a strong testimony of a life after this one (as does his wife and children) and is fighting a good fight.

No comments: