Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Test

This picture was taken in May 2008, at York, England.

During my surprise trip to England, we went to York. It is a great place for tourists. Click here to learn more about this historic place.


Dad was so tired from all our walking, he just HAD to take a rest. It was a pretty nice day and he did so well and as usual there were no complaints. He really made the most of his life right up until the time he was unable to physically get out and about.

Dad told me that many years ago (in the 70's), a General Authority (LDS) took my Dad to a meeting in York. His name was Bernard P. Brockbank and he was from the US. My Dad said he had the fright of his life when his American friend decided to drive on the wrong side of the road. (Brits drive on the left) Dad shared that memory quite often and we reminded him of the time when he drove on the wrong side of the road in Las Vegas. :)

Look at his smile in this picture. Today I have been focusing on all the happy memories I have. We did so much and had so many fun times together that it has made me realize how precious life is. We really made the most of life and kept so busy.

I would love more than anything if Dad had not suffered and died due to the disease we know as cancer, however I know that Dad has passed the test. It reminds me of a song written by Janice Kapp Perry:

(3rd verse)
Tell me now, why must you die?
Why must your loved ones stand with empty arms,
and ask the question why?
Help me know, so I can go on.
How when your love and faith sustained me, can the precious gift be gone?
From the depths of sorrow I cry, though pains of grief within my soul arrive.
The whisperings of the Spirit still my cry.

Didn’t He say, He sent us to be tested?
Didn’t He say, the way would not be sure?
But didn’t he say we could live with him forever more,
well and whole, if we but patiently endure.
After the trial, we will be blessed,
but this life is the test.

"We love you Dad"

No comments: