Thursday, January 22, 2009

My promise to Dad

This picture is our son, John. It was taken at one of Lance's birthdays celebrations, I just don't remember which one :(

The reason for this picture today is because it reminded me of how I gave up caffeine 'because my Dad asked me to.' It always bothered him that I drank caffeinated drinks. The fact that I drank 8 32oz Dr Peppers per day did not help. He would often tell me how he wished I did not drink it. During his last visit to our home, he was really getting weaker and weaker and he asked me again if I would give it up.

This time I decided it would be for real. I was willing to do it. I would have literally done anything he asked of me at this point. Why didn't he ask me to give up all the fattening and tasty food........? ;)

On January 7th 2008 I drank my last caffeinated drink. I can honestly say I have not had even one sip of one since. I was so worried that I would suffer with the caffeine withdrawals and wouldn't be able to keep up to my promise. I didn't get one single headache. He told me the best way to give up any habit was to 'just do it'. I wanted to cut back to maybe 4 a day instead of 8, but that wasn't the deal. I had to do it NOW.

I know the fact that he asked me to give it up is what made me do it. Had anyone else asked me, I don't think, ok I wouldn't have been so accomodating.

When I saw this picture of John today, it reminded me that Dad has passed away knowing that I had done what he had wanted me to do for years. I smiled as I remembered the promise.


"We love and miss you Dad"

No comments: