Thursday, November 6, 2008

Simply THE best


This is a picture of Uncle Alan and my Dad. It was my Dad's wedding day. Look at his cute dimples :)
Uncle Alan passed away after suffering with cancer. I barely recognized him at the end. I remember going to see him at Dove House Hospice and walking into his room. I walked out and saw my Dad in the hall. I told Dad I could not find Uncle Alan and I followed him. As we walked into the same room, I looked puzzled as I had already been in that room and knew it was not the right one. How wrong I was. Uncle Alan was so sick and looked so different, I just did not recognize him.
Not only has Dad been a wonderful husband, father and grandfather, he has always been a great son and brother. Dad has always visited his family members. I remember from a very early age going to their homes even if it was just for a few minutes, Dad always wanted to see if there was anything he could do for them. He loved his association with them. He has shared many memories of them growing up.
Uncle Alan always liked to have parties. He was the host of our New Year's eve family get togethers. He loved music, and he loved his beer. One particular year either 1993 or 94, we were at his house on new years eve. He loved Tina Turner and we were all singing to Tina Turner (karaoke). I believe Jared said he didn't like Tina Turner and that was it! Uncle Alan was very drunk and didn't like that Jared had said that. He told us to get out. I looked at him and thought "WHAT" I didn't even say anything (but always seemed to get the blame for everything :) We realized it was only due to the fact that he was drunk that he got so angry with us for not liking Tina Turner. He said to Dad "John, tell 'em, tell 'em to get out. Being that Dad never wanted any trouble, we left.
Of course we still loved Uncle Alan. (I really like Tina Turner, for the record! ) I remember driving him to Withernsea (approximately 17 miles from Hull) We were to meet Dad and Uncle Gordon there. Uncle Alan swore he would never ever let me drive him anywhere else again. (He never did either) There are a lot of curves on that road to Withernsea and I am not the slowest of drivers. He got out the car looking rather pale. :) I passed him a sack as I thought for sure he was going to need it :) He never let me forget he would never get in my car again. :)
Dad, You're simply the best, better than all the rest. Better than anyone, anyone I've ever met
"You're simply THE best!"
We love you Dad

No comments: