Friday, November 21, 2008

I just called to say "I LOVE YOU"

This picture was taken in August 2007 at Xscape in Castleford.

I posted about really missing receiving letters from Dad on Nov 11th. (Click here to read the post)
Not only do I miss the letters, I really miss his phone calls too. I have called/rang my parents daily for the past 7 years. Sometimes my Dad and I would have lengthy phone calls, others would be short and sometimes they would be quick "Hello's". (The quick calls usually meant Dad was leaving to help someone who needed him.)

I REALLY MISS THE CALLS. All I can get now is "I love you and God Bless". Those words are good enough for me. The wonderful thing to me is that these are not words that are new. All of my life I have heard these words. They have been a daily, (many times a day) part of my life.

I will always treasure the memories I have of our phone conversations. In every single call, Dad would always ask if he could do anything for us. It didn't matter that we lived 5,000 miles away, he really was genuine when he asked that. It was part of his dialect. He was always wanting to help. My answer every single time would be "The best thing you can do for me is to love my Mother." He always promised me he would. He always kept that promise.

Many times I would check my voicemail and hear my Dad telling me he loved me. I so regret deleting those messages. Little did I know at the time, that one day soon he would barely be able to talk to me. Many times he would call me and forget about the time difference. He would see the time as 10:00am and didn't realize that for me it was 3:00am. :) I was always grateful to hear his voice that I did not care that I had been fast asleep just moments before.

We tried to teach Dad how to write and read texts. Not that he couldn't read or write but using a phone was completely different. :) He gave up (or maybe we did) before we could teach him how to enter the world of texting. I can't remember how many times he told me he had 'lost' his cell phone. One day he told me had lost it and we laughed when we called the number to look for it and it was fastened to his belt. :)

One day soon, we won't need a phone. We will just converse with each other, forever!

"I just called to say I love you
I just called to say how much I care
I just called to say I love you
And I mean it from the bottom of my heart"

"We love you Dad"

No comments: