Monday, November 10, 2008

Family Home Evening

Every Monday evening, as kids we were taught not to plan anything. We spent Monday evenings as a family. We would have a lesson which could have been anything from respecting others to living forever as a family. We would always have a game which was normally the 'dark' game (described in a previous post) and treats.

'Family Home Evenings' were always a lot of fun as little kids. Once we hit our teenage years it was a different story :) However, our parents were very strict with this and no matter what, we had to be home on Monday evenings.

Our parents taught us well and we are all trying our best to raise our children as they raised us. Our youngest daughter, Olivia will sit at the table and will not eat her food until it has been blessed. I bet she already knows her Mother is not the best cook in the world and is being safe.

We learned from being babies how important it was to pray. We would joke with Dad as he wanted us to have a prayer every time he left the house (Seriously that could mean ten prayers a day!) If we questioned him, he would say "Do you want me to go out and get hit by a truck?" Of course we were going to pray after he said that. Dad taught us to pray before every meal and would sometimes see him blessing a candy bar/chocolate bar. :) He was truly grateful for everything he had.

Now I am married to someone who prays just like my Dad. I joke with friends and say "I often wonder if I should have Lance bless the food as I wonder if my food will be mouldy by the time he gets finished."

I would like to take this opportunity to thank those of you who have prayed for my Dad. It has meant a lot to our family. I really believe in the power of prayer. I have learned over the years that just because we simply pray for something doesn't mean we will get it. (I have prayed to win the lottery for years .....:))

Please keep my Mom in your prayers. She really needs some extra strength right now.

"We love you Dad"

For those of you who follow this blog you know that today's post would normally be 'Missionary Monday' but we are without a missionary post this week. If you knew Dad whilst you were serving a mission in England, please send a memory and a picture to me at maxbritchick@yahoo.com

No comments: